Monday, April 22, 2013

Game Plan

April 21, 2013
Game Plan
Exodus 3:1-22
 
Read
Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt."

But Moses protested to God, "Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?"

God answered, "I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain."

But Moses protested, "If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, 'The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' they will ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what should I tell them?"

God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you." God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations." (Exodus 3:10-15)
 
Reflect
Moses made excuses because he felt inadequate for the job God asked him to do. To feel that way would be natural. Moses was inadequate all by himself. But God wasn't asking Moses to work alone. He offered other resources to help: God himself, Aaron, and the ability to do miracles.

God often calls us to tasks that seem too difficult, but he doesn't ask us to do them alone. God offers us his resources, just as he did for Moses. We should not use our inadequacies as excuses, but look beyond ourselves to the great resources available. God has given us the chance to contribute to his work and his plans!

The Egyptians had many gods by many different names. Moses wanted to know God's name so the Hebrew people would know exactly who had sent him to them. God called himself I AM, a name describing his eternal power and unchangeable character.

In a world where values, morals, and laws are always changing, we can find stability and security in our unchanging God. Hebrews 13:8 says God is the same "yesterday, today, and forever." Because God's nature is stable and trustworthy, we are free to follow and enjoy him rather than spend our time trying to figure him out. The God who appeared to Moses is the same God who lives in us today.
 
Respond
What excuses do you give God for not speaking out for him? How do you rationalize not being a more obvious follower of Christ? Ask God for courage to act boldly for him. And remember, I AM will be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment